Colin Meagan's Chilli Jelly
(Good with cold meats and sausages) Makes about two jars
1 lb cooking apples
1 lb plums
1 1/2 pint water
3 fl oz apple cider vinegar
Roughly 1 lb sugar per pint of juice
4 oz (or to taste), per pint of juice, of deseeded and finely chopped chillies
- Roughly chop apples. Put in large pan with plums and water.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer for one hour.
- Then, add 3 fl oz apple cider vinegar and boil for 5 minutes.
- Strain juice off through a jelly bag until all juice filters through.
Do not squeeze the jelly bag!
- Put the juice in a clean pan and gently heat whilst adding the sugar,
ensuring that the sugar doesn't burn.
- When all the sugar has dissolved, boil vigorously until setting point is
reached. This can be ascertained with the use of a jam thermometer. Let's say
about 104.5° C for a medium consistency.
- Allow to cool and stir in the chillies when you're sure that the jelly is
stiff enough to stop them floating straight to the top!
- Pour into warmed, sterilised, jars.
back to Martyn's Home Page
Author: Martyn Arnold
Last modified: October 1997